As an admin, you can customize the Power-user Library to integrate your own corporate content. Such integration is a great way to further boost the productivity or the users, and to further enforce brand compliance.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Types of assets you can integrate in the Power-user Library
- Security of your content
- Storage solutions for your assets
- Parameters used to define a new library
- Optional parameters for items within a library
- Adding new assets to the Library from the admin portal
Types of assets you can integrate in the Power-user Library
The following types of assets can be integrated in the Library:
- PowerPoint templates
- Excel templates
- Word templates
- Icons in .png, .jpg, .svg [shape format is also possible but requires custom integration on demand]
- Pictures in .png, .jpg or .svg format
- Data maps [we can create custom maps on demand]
- Tombstones [see dedicated article]
Security of your content
As you can see from the scheme above, your corporate assets remains completely secure within your IT environment:
- Power-user will not have access to your documents
- Only the path to the file is transmitted to the Power-user server
- That path is passed down to each user's computer, so that it can pull the files and integrate them in the Library
Storage solutions for your assets
All the files you integrate (templates, icons, pictures, maps, tombstones...) can be saved securely in your own file-sharing solutions:
- A shared drive or local network [Recommended]
We recommend the user of a shared drive, since this solution provides the more simplicity for the admin, and the best experience for the users (no password prompt). It is also compatible with any type of assets, while other storage solutions like SharePoint require icons and pictures to be synced on the user machine.
Parameters used to define a new library
A library is defined by 4 parameters:
- Name: this is the name that will be displayed to the users in the Library
- File Path: this is the path to the file or folder containing the assets. It can contain environment variables (e.g. %USERNAME%) which you can use to refer to a synced SharePoint folder for instance.
- Team: each library can be made available to all users (default), or to a specific sub-group of users in your organization.
- Preview path: this is the path to the picture thumbnail that will be displayed to the users in the Library. This parameter is required only for Excel and Word templates. For PowerPoint templates, icons and pictures, the previews will be generated automatically
Optional parameters for items within a library
Some items inside a library can have additional (optional) parameters fo facilitate searches to the users. This only applies to the following types of assets:
- PowerPoint templates
These items parameters are:
- [Category]: categories are visible to the users from the Library pane
- [Tags]: tags are not visible to the users, but will be used by the search bar to provide relevant results
For PowerPoint templates, the [Category] parameter can be easily set up by grouping slides in Sections within the PowerPoint source file.
For Icons, Pictures and Maps, the [Category] and [Tags] parameters can only be set up through an XML file, which requires custom integration support from Power-user.
Adding new assets to the Library from the admin portal
The admin portal allows you to integrate new assets in the Library for all your users. Follow the steps below:
- Connect to your admin portal, using your organization's credentials
- Go to the "Library" menu
- Click "Add", and a new row will be created
- In the Name field, provide the name you would like to give to that asset (as will be seen by the users)
- In the Path field, provide the direct link to the file (see Getting the direct link to a file or folder)
- In the Team field, specify if the assets should be visible to all users or only to a specific team.
- [For Excel and Word templates only, you will also need to specify the Preview path parameter and provide the direct link (see Getting the direct link to a file or folder) to a picture which will be used to illustrate the asset in the Library (e.g., a screenshot of the relevant part of the spreadsheet / document).
- Click "Save changes" to publish the new assets (or later, to publish any update)
To test the integration of assets, we recommend adding yourself in a "Test" team, and initially publishing only for the "Test" team. Once the integration has been tested, you can change the Team parameter to "All users" or the desired team.
PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT If you integrate heavy libraries of assets, the performance might be affected and users will experience a slower Library. We can enhance the performance of your libraries by transforming them in a .dll file which will load super fast in the Library. This requires some custom integration from our side, and necessarily implies that we have access to the assets to optimize them.