As an admin, you have 3 options to deliver licenses to the end-users.
Rolling-out by email
The simplest way to deliver licenses is usually to send an email to the users, with everything they need to install on their own.
Just follow the procedure below:
- Prepare an email to the end-users. You can use wording from the template attached to this post, which you are free to customize.
- Fill the table with your license keys and the user emails, so that each user has 1 license key.
- Paste the user emails as recipients of your email. We recommend using the cci field for recipients, and adding the email of your Power-user Account Manager in cc field in case users need support.
Rolling-out by script
Power-user offers an .msi file, allowing your IT admin to roll out licenses centrally to users within your organization. This option is best if you have many users, as it will save each user the need to install and activate the license on their own.
The roll-out script is as follow:
- Launch a command line (e.g. PowerShell, CMD, ...)
- Create the download_path and install_path variables, defining where to download and where to install the .msi file:
set download_path=%temp%\Power-user.msi set install_path=C:\Program Files (x86)\
- Download the "Power-user.msi" file in download_path, with the following command line:
curl https://powerusersoftware.com/download/Power-user.msi -o %download_path%
- Install the "Power-user .msi" file, with the following command line:
msiexec /i %download_path% ALLUSERS="2" INSTALLDIR="%install_path%" /q
- Create the registry files, with the following lines:
set download_bat_path=%temp%\addin_registry.bat curl https://powerusersoftware.com/Content/Installation/addin_registry.txt -o %download_bat_path% %download_bat_path%
- Go to the Power-user installation directory, with the following command lines:
cd %install_path% cd Power-user
- Activate the Power-user license, with the command line below. Don't forget to replace the "email_address", "%UserNAME%" and "license_key" parameters with the email address and Windows user name of the user, as well the license key.
PowerUserActivator.exe "email_address" "%USERNAME%" "license_key"
After running this script, Power-user will be installed and activated on the machine, without requiring the user to take any individual action.
In case you need to get the "email_address" parameter through command line as well, replace the last command line from above with the following:
for /f "tokens=3" %a in ('reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSOIdentityCRL\OfflineCreds" /V DomainUserUPN ^|findstr /ri "REG_SZ"') do set email_address=%a PowerUserActivator.exe %email_address% "%USERNAME%" "license_key"
Offline licenses Certain organizations require their computers to be isolated from the Internet, due to the sensitive nature of their industry. If you need to turn Power-user in plane mode for the users, you can run the following command line at the end of the script:
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Office\PowerPoint\Addins\Power-user" /v ContactServer /t REG_SZ /d "0" /f
Rolling-out by domain
We can enable any user with your organization's domain to have access to Power-user based on their email domain.
This is the easiest solution for license management from the admin perspective, but is only suited if all users from the domain are eligible to have a Power-user license.
Contact us if you want to explore this option for your organization.